Riga City Council committees
To provide for the operation of Riga City Council and to prepare the issues for decisions at Riga City Council sessions, Riga City Council establishes regular committees, the composition of which is determined by separate decisions of Riga City Council.
Each councillor may simultaneously be a member of one or two committees.
Latvian legislation on municipalities provides that the committee working sessions are open.
The regular committee of Riga City Council elects the chairman and his deputy (deputies) from among the councillors of the committee. The deputy committee chairman performs the duties of the chairman upon the commission of the chairman during his absence.
Each of the regular committees of Riga City Council performs councillor control over the administrative municipality institutions of the respective industry.
Riga City Council committees:
- prepare issues for consideration at Riga City Council sessions;
- give resolutions on the issues in the competence of the committee;
- review the draft budgets of the municipality institutions controlled by the committees and submit them to the financial department of Riga City Council;
- review the cost estimates of the institutions controlled by the committees of Riga City Council and check the execution of these;
- develop the perspective development strategy on issues within the competence of the committee;
- makes proposals concerning maintenance of municipality property on the issues within the competence of the committee;
- cooperate with other committees of Riga City Council on the issues of inter industry and inter institutional cooperation;
- prepare proposals to Riga City Council on the establishment, reorganization, or liquidation of the departments of the industries of Riga City Council, appointment or dismissal of the directors or revoking illegal or inexpedient decisions thereof;
- cooperate with the NGOs and funds of the respective industry, assess their proposals and prepare for submission for consideration at Riga City Council sessions, prepare the proposals to Riga City Council on the measures of support to the NGOs of the respective industry;
- cooperate with the ministries of the corresponding industries, coordinate development of state and municipality policy and implementing the respective development programs;
- cooperate with other municipalities in Latvia and abroad on the issues of the development of the respective industry;
- assess the procedure of implementing of the binding regulations of Riga City Council on the issues of their competence, provide proposals related to this assessment to Riga City Council and municipality officials;
- assess the work effectiveness of the municipality institutions of the respective industry;
- assess the effectiveness of purchasing the respective industry services of the municipality in the private sector and prepare the proposals to Riga City Council;
- commission municipality institutions and officials with tasks concerning preparation of decision projects of Riga City Council;
- consider applications on receiving means from Riga City infrastructure fund and submit to the Finance and Administration Issues Comittee propositions of consuming means of Riga municipal property privatisation fund;
- perform other duties according to Riga municipality regulations and Riga City Council decisions.