The competence of the Committee of Housing and Environment includes:
- the development of energy, water supply and sewage systems of the city;
- protection of environment ;
- waste management;
- management of city’s greenery, gardens, parks, forests as well as nature’s protectable territories;
- energy efficiency;
- issues of rent and communal payments;
- assistance in solving the housing issues;
- organizing cemetery services.
Committee of Housing and Environment supervises the Municipal Department of Environment.
Pursuant to regulations No.114 of Riga City Council of March 1, 2011, the number of councillors working on the Finance and Administration Issues Committee may not exceed 20.