- Greenery - all areas that are planted and maintained with plants, like parks, gardens, orchards, squares, boulevards, alleys, cemeteries, slope fortifications, etc., as well as areas intended for this purpose. Greenery can include trees, shrubs, creepers, flower plantations, lawns, roads, water bodies, paths and squares with garden furniture and appliances, as well as buildings for maintenance of greenery, etc. elements.
- Computer salon - a place where computer and hardware services are provided for a fee.
- Entertainment venue - cafe, teahouse, bar, restaurant, club, gaming house, gaming hall, disco, dance hall and other places where entertainment events are offered (entertaining TV shows, performances, games, attractions, dances, etc.), except venues , in which the only service offered is catering and the working hours do not exceed 22.00.
- Period of increased ice danger - the period of time determined by an order of the Executive Director of the City of Riga, taking into account the information provided by the Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre, announced by publishing information in the official publication “Latvijas Vestnesis”, in the mass media, and placing warning signs at the relevant water bodies.
- Public place - any place which, regardless of its actual use or form of ownership, serves the general needs and interests of society and is available for payment or free of charge to any individual person, who is not the owner, legal possessor, holder, employee or other a person whose location in this place is related to the performance of work duties, the organization of an event or in accordance with a company contract.
- Public event - a festive, memorial, entertainment, sports or recreational event planned and organized by a individual or legal person and is available to the public in a public place, regardless of the form of ownership or possession.
- Utensil - package or container
- To make noise – to make noise with a person's voice or action, as well as allow noise caused by a possessed noise source, regardless of its location.
- Begging - praying for gifts of grace (money) in a public place, actively or passively demonstrating extreme poverty or otherwise trying to pity passers-by.
Prohibitions and restrictions in the administrative territory of Riga
It is prohibited in the administrative territory of Riga:
- to make noise if it disturbs the peace of the surrounding persons, operation of the institutions, organizations. The making of noise is not related to traffic or events coordinated with the Executive Director of the City of Riga and the noise is not of a permanent nature. The guilty person will be held liable in accordance with the procedures prescribed by law for the creation of permanent noise by his or her actions or omissions that exceed the noise standards or limit values specified in regulatory enactments;
- to use pyrotechnic goods from 23.00 to 7.00, if it has not been coordinated with the Executive Director of the City of Riga, except on public holidays;
- to be in non-commissioned buildings, uninhabited or unused buildings and premises, as well as in buildings that are completely or partially collapsed, if the owner of the building has ensured closing, walling or nailing of windows and entrance doors against entry of unauthorized persons and placed warning signs in accordance with regulations, except for persons who are related to the maintenance of the building, repair works, etc. and this is coordinated with the owner of the building.
It is forbidden in public places:
- to lodge (spend the night, sleep, etc.);
- to move on roller skates, skateboards and scooters between sunset and sunrise (according to the calendar), if no light reflector is attached to the outerwear in a visible place;
- to perform the preventive maintenance of the motor vehicle (change of oil or other engine fluids, engine washing, etc.) and wash it outside specially designated areas;
- to spit, throw away waste, meet natural needs in places not intended for it;
- to damage residential and public buildings, outbuildings, fences, other structures and architectural elements with inscriptions, drawings, graffiti etc.
- from 7.00 to 23.00 to take out a dog without a leash for a walk in the greenery of the city of Riga, except for specially arranged and demarcated territories;
- to take the dog for a walk in children's play and entertainment areas and sports grounds;
- to bring any drinks in glass or other shatterproof packaging to the venues of public events;
- to take off and land with hang gliders, paragliders and balloons, except in cases when it has been coordinated with the Executive Director of the City of Riga;
- to be with an open bottle of beer or other alcoholic beverage in any open utensil, except in places where the use of alcoholic beverages is permitted by the municipality;
- to swim in water bodies where it is prohibited;
- to ride a motor vehicle on ice in water bodies, except in cases when it is necessary to provide help or manage the water body, as well as within a public event, if it is coordinated with the Riga City Executive Director and the event organizer takes all the responsibility for the event;
- to damage or move state and local government information signs (prohibition, warning, restriction and other signs) or other objects of public use;
- to be located on the slopes of the Channel edges, as well as on the lawn and greenery, where there are prohibition signs placed by the municipality;
- to be on the ice of the certain water body during the period of increased ice danger specified by the Executive Director of the City of Riga.
It is prohibited in the official swimming areas of the city of Riga:
- to bring with you animals;
- to swim behind the bathing area enclosure (buoys);
- to set up tents, light bonfires;
- to walk on the dune protective plant beads of the swimming area, to dig out or damage them;
- to enter the swimming area by any motor vehicles and mopeds; except the special motor vehicles for the maintenance of the swimming area
- to perform excavation work and get sands.
Children are not allowed:
- up to the age of 16 during the school period, except school holidays, to be in computer salons without the written permission of the administration of educational institutions,;
- under the age of 16 to be in public places unaccompanied by parents or their substitutes from 22.00 to 7.00;
- to smoke in public places until the age of 18.
It is forbidden to beg:
- in the historical centre of Riga, except for places near churches where begging is allowed by the management of the respective religious organization;
- on pavements, stairs, overpasses, squares, etc. pedestrian roads in places where this may impede or interfere with the movement of pedestrians;
- in the public transport and it’s stops;
- on the road, on bicycle lanes and at pedestrian crossings;
- by using animals;
- in a pushing way.