The binding regulation No 237 of the Riga City Council 20.12.2016 on the local government fee for keeping a dog in Riga and monitoring and control of the procedures for registration of the dog provides that the owner of the dog has an obligation to register the dog in accordance with the regulatory enactments regarding the procedures for registration of the animals of the house (room) and to pay the dog's retention fee if the place of the dog in the houses (rooms) Riga is listed in the register database. As from 1 January 2018, the dog's retention fee is set at EUR 10,00.
The procedures for payment of the dog's holding fee shall be administered by the Housing and Environment Department of the Riga City Council.
Regulatory documents shall prescribe the following procedures:
1. The dog's retention fee should start paying when the dog reaches the age of 6 months and should be paid annually for the entire dog's lifetime.
2. Animals with Group 1 or 2 disabilities, persons with Group 3 visual or hearing disabilities, public or local authorities in which service dogs are reared shall be exempt from the dog's holding fees.
3. The dog's holding fee is reduced by 50% if the dog's owner is a retiree or the dog is sterilized.
4. Veterinary clinics with which the Department of Housing and Environment has concluded a contract shall issue an annual dog holding badge to dog owners. With dog holding badges, veterinary clinics are provided by the Housing and Environment Department of the Riga City Council.
5. Getting a dog holding badge is optional. If the owner, keeper or possessor of the dog cannot present a dog holding badge at the request of the controlling officials, documents certifying the vaccination of the dog against rabies and the payment of the dog's holding fee or a document justifying the exemption from payment of the fee shall be presented.
6. Administrative responsibility is provided for avoiding the payment of the dog retention fee.
Request a service.
The person arrives at the veterinary clinic. The person can find information about veterinary clinics where a dog holding fee badge can be received on the Riga City Council Housing and Environment Department's home page: http://mvd.riga.lv/nozares/vides-parvalde/dzivani
A person can use the e-service portals www.eriga.lv or www.latvija.lv to pay the dog's holding fee.
Receipt of services documents required:
1. In order to receive a dog retention fee badge for the current year, the owner must present a receipt for the payment of the annual dog retention fee or documents attesting to the release of the dog owner from the fee and the dog's vaccination certificate (to be shown in the original), which contains marks for the vaccination of the dog against rabies.
2. The owners released from the dog's holding fee must show:
disabled card - to be presented in the original;
pensioner's certificate - to be presented in the original;
for bodies raising dogs - registration certificate.
A service charge
Recipient: Riga municipality
Registration No.: 90011524360 Address: Raatslaums 1, Riga
RD Institution: Riga City Council Finance Department,
Account No. LV89RIKO0023300000000 Luminor Bank AS,
Bank code: RIKOLV2X
AS SEB Bank,
Account No. LV74UNLA0023300000000
When making the payment, the purpose of the payment shall include the name of the dog owner or the name of the legal person, personal identity number or company registration number and the identity number of the dog, indicated in the microchip implanted for the dog.
The person may use the e-service portals www.eriga.lv or www.latvija.lv.
Receipt of services
A person arrives at a veterinary clinic, presents a document for payment of the dog holding fee and receives a badge.
Information about veterinary clinics in which a dog holding fee badge can be received may be received by phone from the Kancelejā of the Department of Housing and Environment (67474700) or on the homepage of the Riga City Council Department of Housing and Environment, https://mvd.riga.lv/nozares/vides-parvalde/jack/mashroom /